Hello, neighbors! Karena Garrity here with a new edition of The Haddams-Killingworth Daily.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Windy with periods of sunshine. High: 59 Low: 41.
Here are the four main stories of The Haddams-Killingworth today:
- Highlighting the importance the shad fishing industry had on Haddam and the lower Connecticut River Valley, the Haddam Shad Museum, founded by Dr. Joseph Zaitz, located in Higganum, will be open for the season on Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. from April 3 to June 12. (Facebook)
- The March 31 deadline for the sale of Deer Lake rapidly approaching. Will Boy Scout Camp be saved as “green space”? Or will it be sold to a private developer? (Middletown Press)
- Friday, Cake, Batter & Roll Bakery in Middletown held the “I Kissed A Goat And I Liked It” fundraiser, to raise money for a Ukrainian refugee family who made the difficult decision to flee this war-torn country just a week ago. Viktoriia Zakhidna took her children to the United States but had to leave behind her husband and the father of the children. (Eyewitness News 3)
- With an eye towards honor veterans, Governor Ned Lamont announced Friday that the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles is now offering 10 new license plate options for veterans who commemorate specific periods of war. The plaques are exclusively for veterans who served during specific periods of war and who received campaign medals. (Room)
Today at The Haddams-Killingworth:
From my notebook:
- Goodspeed Musicals: “It’s a great day to kick off our 16th Festival of New Musicals! #goodspeedfnm” (Facebook)
- Hope Alliance, Inc.: “Still missing to this day! Thanks for sharing!” (Facebook)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Largest Home & Office Furniture Clearance Center Sale (March 20)
- American Diabetes Association Diabetes Alert Day: Understand Your Risk (March 22)
- Add your event
Do you like The Haddams-Killingworth Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
All right, you’re all caught up for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Karena Garry
About me: I am originally from Connecticut and currently reside in the Tri-Town community of Chester, Deep River and Essex. I have been a community journalist for most of the past 20 years. I love my small town community and am honored to be part of Patch.com. You can reach me at; firstname.lastname@example.org.